What things do I need for a typical woodburner flue installation?

Twin wall flue kit
Installing a wood-burning stove is not merely a case of buying a wood-burning stove. Equally important as the stove itself is the flue, which will draw the air your stove needs in order to light and maintain a fire, as well as act as an exhaust for the gases produced during the burning process.

This can seem a bit complicated if you’re new to woodburners or have never given much thought to how a stove system works. Fear not: in this blog post we will explain exactly what you need for a typical woodburner flue installation.

Much like a good story, a flue installation needs a start, middle and end. Let’s explore each of those sections in more detail.

At the start of your flue installation you need an appliance connector – a part that connects your flue to the wood-burning stove. Of course, you need to ensure that this connector is the right diameter for your stove’s flue exit and that this is the same diameter as your flue pipe. If it’s not, you’ll need a connector that also serves as an adaptor. Click here to see appliance connectors.

The middle, and indeed the main body of a typical flue installation, is the flue lengths and the load-bearing support to keep them in place.

The lengths might be in the form of a twin wall flue or flexi flue liner. In either case, we offer handy kits comprising everything you need for your installation.

Click here for twin wall flue kits.
Click here for flexi flue liner kits.

How do you know how much flue length you need? Click here to find out.

The end of your typical woodburner installation is the fixtures and fittings where your flue meets the outside world. As well as fixing the top of your flue in place, a cowl can serve a number of other purposes, such as keeping birds out of stove system, preventing downdraught and keeping rain out of your flue, depending on the design your choose. Learn more about this by clicking here.

You can choose your chimney cowl here (or just select one as part of the kits mentioned above)

You will also need flashing around the terminal to seal your roof. Click here to see some silicone flashing options.

Click here to see a full range of top connections.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.